Mountain Lion Saftey
Health and Safety Code Excerpt:
53.72 - Mountain Lions. Generally, mountain
lions are solitary, quiet,
elusive animals. They are most active from dusk to dawn, although they
travel and hunt in daylight. Working with other employees and making
noise, reduces the chance of surprising a lion. In the event of a
confrontation, employees should:
1. Give the lion a way to escape.
2. Talk calmly, yet firmly.
3. Stop or back away slowly. Never crouch,
try to hide, turn away,
or run away.
4. Try to appear larger by raising arms or an object over the head.
5. If the lion behaves aggressively,
throw stones, branches, or
whatever can be reached without crouching down or turning away.
6. Fight back if attacked. Shout loudly.
Try to remain standing.
If down, try to get up. Protect the head and neck with hands and arms.